Monday, January 12, 2009

First THINGS First

Since I have already started on this project I might as well post my first "inklings". I will be approaching this illustration as a "comic book style" piece. It will be a single panel, full color board. However since the days of drawing with BIC Flair pens are long past I will be doing all of the work using a digital medium.

I will be working in PhotoShop CS3. I can not imagine doing anything like the drawing that I am doing without using a digital graphics tablet. A mouse will definitely not allow the natural flow that a wireless pen will. I use a WACOM Intuos 3 , 9 x 12 graphics tablet. There are different lines of thinking regarding the size of a graphics tablet. I prefer to have the larger format because it feels more like my drawing board, however there really isn't a decidedly better size to use. It is purely a preferential thing. Normally I would be using my inkwell and pen but I really want to try to achieve that style of look using a digital media. We'll see huh?!

I have decided to start with the center focus of the illustration, namely the "egg-sacks". The two drawings above show the differences in style since the mid 80's. A really cool aspect about the graphics tablet is that it allows you to work just like a traditional inker and at the same time you can achieve some almost pencil like results.

One of the best reasons to work in digital format is that mistakes are very easily rectified. GOTTA LOVE DEM "UNDO" LEVELS!!!! The downside to digital artwork is that you do not have the tactile joy of creating a piece of art. That's why a graphics tablet is a great middle ground solution. I cannot imagine throwing off the traditional medium to go completely digital BUT it is fun to be able to do both.

More soon. Shalom -nik

No comments: